Universal Recycling Outreach Intern
Internship Title: Universal Recycling Outreach
Internship Site: VT DEC Solid Waste Program
Description: This internship will focus on addressing the current and upcoming challenges of implementing the Universal Recycling Law in Vermont. It will involve substantial engagement with the public, as well as some in-office work.
- The intern will set up a table at farmers’ markets, fairs, or other public venues to provide information about recycling, composting, and the requirements of the Universal Recycling Law. A gregarious, friendly personality, composure, and strong communication skills are necessary. The intern will learn and communicate about recycling, composting, and other materials management topics. The intern will think strategically about communications and outreach to specific segments of the population, plan outreach/education activities, and coordinate with event/venue managers throughout the state. Work may include weekends and evenings.
- The intern may also:
- Support composting, recycling, or food rescue initiatives with partner organizations
- If student interest, conduct research project(s) to support composting, recycling, or food rescue initiatives
- The intern would also have an opportunity to shadow DEC staff on site visits and meetings with town officials, haulers, composters, farmers, businesses, or schools, etc.
- Must be comfortable engaging in-person with various stakeholders, including the public, residents, businesses, farmers, and municipalities
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to make cold-calls to residents, businesses, and others
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with recycling, composting, or other materials management topics
- Critical thinking skills
- Able to commute independently to and from the Montpelier office (there are some commuter buses available)
- Possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
Supervision: Emma Stuhl or Anne Bijur, Environmental Analysts, Solid Waste Program
Start and End Dates: June 1 to August 15, but dates are negotiable
Total Hours: 20-24 hours/week, 10 -12 weeks (total of 240 hours)
Compensation: $3,000 Stipend. If you are offered and accept this internship, please be aware that your funding for this position is provided by CCI, and therefore you will be required to complete funded internship paperwork.
How to apply: Upload your RESUME, COVER LETTER and AN ACADEMIC REFERENCE (PROFESSOR NAME AND CONTACT INFORMATION) to Handshake by March 25, 2018 (11:55pm).