Bioinformatics Research Associate
Finch is unlocking the therapeutic potential of the microbiome via our human-first drug discovery platform. We support clinical studies that intentionally manipulate the microbiome to investigate causality in diseases that are otherwise poorly understood, then leverage this clinical data to focus our in vitro and in vivoefforts on cocktails of microbes that have already demonstrated safety and efficacy in humans. Using high-throughput molecular data these human and ex-vivo experiments, we identify specific strains that drive clinical phenotypes and responses to microbial therapies. Our team values transparency, integrity, humility, and collaboration, and we intend to have fun while maximizing our ability to make an impact on patients’ lives. We are searching for passionate teammates eager to support this mission.
As a member of our Data Science team, your mission is to develop tools and execute analyses to support development of successful microbial therapies. You will further our microbial drug development platform by mining microbial datasets, developing our machine learning platform, and working closely with both bench scientists and clinicians to test functional hypotheses about microbial community disease.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Collecting, cleaning, processing, and analyzing high-throughput microbial data, human clinical data, and in vitro data
- Creating effective graphical output to communicate results
- Reviewing literature and presenting summaries to inform experimental design
- Working closely with bench scientists to analyze microbial function and phenotype experiments
- Working with clinicians to help analyze clinical trial data
- Communicating analysis results with a variety of audiences including clinicians, bench scientists, industry executives, and academic researchers
- Working effectively as part of a multifunctional team in support of a commercially viable therapeutics discovery platform
- Performing statistical tests on high throughput data
- BA or MS in computational biology, bioinformatics, or related field
- Facility with big data visualization, especially with python matplotlib
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to adapt to a fast paced startup environment and perform analyses in a time sensitive fashion
- Strong organizational and communications skills
- Passion, humility, and excitement for doing whatever it takes to drive research forward
Additional Desired Skills & Experience (not required)
- Previous experience developing database architecture
- Familiarity with cloud computing, in particular AWS EC2, CFN
- Experience with code parallelization, especially Hadoop/Spark
- Expertise in microbiology, microbial genomics, and/or immunology
At Finch Therapeutics, you can expect to engage deeply in the core of our mission. You will grow with a dynamic, rapidly expanding organization, and have an opportunity to contribute to cutting edge research that will truly impact patients’ lives. We offer a competitive starting salary, plus healthcare and other benefits. As we grow, there will be opportunities for promotion and professional development.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package. You be will be reporting to the Director of Data Science.
The start date for this position is flexible.
Authorization to work in the US required. No visa sponsorship is possible this year, but may be in the future.