Marketing/Events Intern - Swallow Hill Music
Founded in 1979, Swallow Hill Music is a nonprofit community for musicians and music lovers who appreciate the ability of music to bring people together. As a home for individuals and families who want to learn about, listen to and perform music, Swallow Hill Music serves more than 156,000 people annually through its 3 music school locations, K-12 outreach programming, and concerts. Swallow Hill Music presents concerts at a wide range of venues across Denver, most notably at its 3 in-house performance spaces and at the Denver Botanic Gardens for its esteemed summer concert series.
Describe the value of the proposed Internship to the Agency/Firm
This position is a vital part of our summer marketing efforts! From social media execution to brand ambassadorship, this position is key to helping get Swallow Hill Music’s name out in the community
Describe the value of the proposed Internship to the Intern
This is a great opportunity to be part of the busy summer concert scene in Denver. Though a marketing position, this intern will also get a up-close view of concert production, event management, and non-profit work.
The Marketing/Events Internship at Swallow Hill Music is a full-time position for 7-11 weeks between June 1 and September 1, 2017. Interns represent the non-profit organization at off-campus events, including concerts at Denver Botanic Gardens and other concerts and music festivals in the Denver area. Interns also gain experience in developing and executing marketing plans for various events and programming, and developing strategic partnerships in the community.
The intern’s schedule is dependent on Swallow Hill Music’s event schedule. Hours will include evening and weekends, with occasional time in the office in the afternoons.
· Act as brand ambassador at all concerts at Denver Botanic Gardens and the Shady Grove Picnic Series at Four Mile Historic Park, and summer music festivals including Brewgrass and Blues & Brews.
· Manage marketing materials at all off-site events, such as banners, brochures, flyers and posters
· Coordinate with our social media team members to create engaging and relevant content at events
· Communicate with patrons at concerts and music festivals about Swallow Hill Music and its programming
· Be a member of the marketing department by participating in all marketing meetings
· Weekly one-hour sessions with Director of Marketing, or occasionally designee, to determine if the experience is mutually beneficial and to build opportunities for maximum enjoyment, learning and productivity.
· Expectations are that the intern be fully prepared for the workday with questions and ideas which should be asked and offered with as much spontaneity as possible.
· Dress code is casual, for the most part, with occasional requirements for more formal business attire. Concerts are held outdoors, so rain gear and sunscreen are recommended.
· Flexibility is key in this role – events are fast-paced with periods of down-time.
· Tact and punctuality are important. In this role, interns may interact with artists, and it is important to do so appropriately.
Special Job Requirements
· Must have access to a vehicle that can transport marketing materials to events
· Must be able to lift 20 pounds
· Must be able to stand for long periods of time
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to meet people and an interest to engage them in conversation
· An appreciation of music, especially the folk, rock and acoustic genres
· Exceptional skills in Microsoft Office applications, Google applications, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and WordPress are preferred
2017 Intern: Meg Dineen, Middlebury 2017.5. Meg was hired full time by Swallow Hill after the internship and will begin Feb 2018. Email: email@example.com
Despite the deadlines posted here, applications are reviewed on rolling basis and hiring can occur once the right candidate is found, so apply as soon as you know you want to pursue this opportunity. Cover letter and resume should be uploaded and submitted through your school’s career portal.
Please address cover letter to:
Meg Ivey Yon, Marketing Director
Swallow Hill Music
71 E. Yale Avenue
Denver, CO 80210