Mianus River Gorge Suburban Ecology Conservation Intern
College Internship in Suburban Ecology
Mianus River GorgeProgram Description: Mianus River Gorge, a conservation organization and 850-acre nature preserve in southern New York, offers 8 week summer internships for college students interested in the conservation of natural areas in urbanizing landscapes.
· Each intern will work alongside Gorge staff and graduate students on a variety of projects including wildlife monitoring, non-native species management, and GIS applications.
· Interns will work with and supervise high school students in our authentic research program (Wildlife Technician Program).
· We work with our interns to provide a learning experience that fits their interests and long-term educational goals.
· Internships last for a period of 8 weeks. 10-week internships may be available in 2018. Internships typically run from June to July, but some flexibility is available.
· Unfortunately, we do not have summer housing for out-of-town interns. Applicants thus need to be able to commute to Bedford, NY each day.
· Projects for 2018 include:
o Monitoring coyotes, black bear, and other wildlife in Westchester, NYC, and Fairfield
o Vegetation sampling, monitoring, and restoration
o Initiating design and construction of a new educational trail
o Invasive species control and other land management work
o Data management, GIS work, and analysis on several long-term projects
· All undergraduate students are eligible to apply. We do not require applicants to major in a particular discipline; however, exposure to the fields of ecology, environmental science, or geography is encouraged. We do accept interns that have graduated the academic year just prior to the internship.
· Interns must be self-motivated and work well in groups settings.
· Applicants should be prepared for strenuous work outdoors (e.g. field research and land management projects) as well as perform indoor work when necessary (e.g. data entry and GIS projects).
· This year the internship will run from June 4 to July 27 -- applicants need to be available during this period.
Compensation: This internship is funded with a CCI award of $3,000.00. If you are offered and accept this internship, please be aware that your funding for this position is provided by CCI, and therefore you will be required to complete funded internship paperwork.