Project Assistant (Entry Level Paralegal) - International Trade Practice Group
The Project Assistant position in the International Trade Group is an entry-level paralegal position in the firm’s Legal Support program working directly on client matters. It is designed to build skill proficiency in case training and use of litigation software and database applications, research and analysis of both case law and factual data, and cite-checking of legal documents. Proficiency in research and cite-checking confers a significant advantage on those headed to law school.
Through training and experience, the Project Assistant will gain case management skills using computer litigation applications, cite-checking and research skills under the supervision of attorneys and legal support staff (e.g., factual research, Internet, LEXIS/Westlaw); proofreading skills; indexing and document management; retrieval of documents; filing of case materials before various agencies and courts; assembly and production of pleadings, exhibits, and/or practice area projects.
- Works with attorneys and legal assistants in the International Trade group on client billable projects, meeting the Firm's minimum hours’ expectations
- Prepares and files (in person, by mail, and electronically) ITC and DOC filings
- Understands and complies with requirements and restrictions of Administrative Protective Order (APOs) at all times
- Prepares indices, coding, basic research, organization of files, compiles exhibits, proofreads, and retrieves documents from outside sources (Internet, libraries, courts and agencies)
- Develops professionally, actively learns and refines practice-specific case management, cite-checking, filing (e.g, filling procedures, interpretation of agency rules), and research skills
- Other duties as may be assigned by attorneys, the senior Legal Support staff, and/or the Director of Legal & Practice Support
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 3.0 GPA required
- Preferred paralegal certificate and/or relevant legal experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The ability to communicate professionally and effectively, both in oral and written form
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize/coordinate deadlines and track progress of tasks
- Ability to organize work flow and use time efficiently
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy
- Must maintain confidentiality of work related information and materials
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships in or out of a team environment
- Proficient in the use of office productivity applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat), aptitude for learning new software strongly preferred
- Flexibility and willingness to work overtime on an as needed basis
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Position operates in a professional office environment which is usually quiet to moderate
- The Firm requires that the duties and responsibilities of this position be performed onsite during scheduled work hours.
- Position requires that the employee have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- This position is primarily a sedentary position. However, some duties and responsibilities are required which would require the applicant to lift files, open filing cabinets, bend or stand, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, occasionally move about to access office equipment, file cabinets, etc.
- Ability to carry or lift items weighing up to 10 pounds
*This description outlines the basic requirements of this position. It is not intended to be a complete description of other requirements which include adherence to Firm policies and procedures as well as Department performance standards.
**Wiley Rein is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the achievement of excellence, diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
***This Organization Participates in E-Verify.