Test Scientist - High-Throughput Screening
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
Ginkgo aims to accelerate this development by transforming genetic engineering into an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline, and our high-throughput screening capabilities sits at the center of this pipeline. We have launched multiple foundries for engineering organisms containing custom CAD/CAM software, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation, integrated robotic work cells, a highly flexible fleet of liquid handling workstations, and much more.
As part of the high-throughput screening team, you will utilizing these tools to facilitate the screening of a variety of microorgansims for the production of a diverse set of biomolecules. Specifically, you will be tasked with designing, executing, analyzing, and reporting experiments for developing new methods of microbial cultivation, measurement, and phenotyping to screen for improved strain performance at scale. The ideal candidate would be comfortable seeking out information from across the organization and energized by working with an interdisciplinary team of biologists, chemists, and engineers to solve the largest problems facing industrial biotechnology. The requirements listed below are great to have, but we recognize the audaciousness of the problem we are solving and welcome all arguments for how the diversity of your training can help us make biology easier to engineer.
- Work collaboratively with Ginkgo engineers to develop scale-down models predictive of larger scale fermentations
- Utilize automated liquid handling and our custom software stack to create automated screening and analysis pipelines
- Design, execute, and analyze experiments focused on strain and process improvement
- Aid in tech transfer of strains and processes to and from customers
- Deep understanding of microbial metabolism and physiology
- Previous success in process development or high-throughput screening
- Previous experience with microtiter or bench scale fermentation
- Familiarity with laboratory automation or statistical analysis of large datasets is a plus
- Previous experience in a diversity of industrially relevant microorganisms is a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.