Front End Web Developer Intern (Summer 2019)
Thousands of companies around the world depend on Rocket to solve their most challenging business problems by helping them run their critical infrastructure, business processes, and data, as well as extending the value of these assets to take advantage of cloud and mobile computing, advanced analytics, and other future innovations. From the clothes we wear to the cars we drive; Rocket solutions power the back-end systems for thousands of brands we interact with every day. At Rocket, software has always been about people—not just ones and zeroes. We’re people solving problems for other people, and we strive to treat our customers, partners, and fellow Rocketeers with humanity. Founded in 1990, Rocket Software is headquartered in Waltham, MA, with 31 offices around the world.
About the role:
As a Front-end Web Developer Intern, you will be expected to work in a fast-paced environment where you will create a platform for intuitive in-context help and tutorials within enterprise system software. You will be required to work closely with the design and technical writing teams to understand user needs and business goals, as well as interesting technology and design constraints.
As part of the engineering organization, you will be responsible for adhering to corporate policies regarding R&D processes, standards and automation, as well as identifying areas for improvement, while collaborating effectively with other Rocketeers across geographies and technologies.
- Design and implement clear, navigable, and valuable interfaces for enterprise software.
- Work under limited direction to implement software enhancements, correct defects and create new components and interactions.
- Document and communicate on technical topics
- Work closely with full stack engineers to refine and help design the correct APIs required by the UI
- Become an expert at leveraging internal Rocket resources and APIs
- Act as a usability advocate and consultant to project teams, providing expert guidance and leadership regarding principles of information architecture and user-centered documentation
- You are passionate about building software that matters.
- You believe in reimagining and redefining the world through software that is elegant and simple.
- You have an obsession about discovering and solving customer issues.
- You can work independently and drive results.
- You are open to new challenges, willing to learn, and thrive in an environment where problems are open-ended.
- You have a strong background in designing UIs that react to data being pushed (web sockets, socket.io, etc.) as well as traditional designs.
- You have extensive experience working with RESTful APIs and AJAX.
- You have experience dealing with cross browser compatibility, industry best practices, and accessibility standards.
- You are a believer in responsive design principles.
- You have excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, and can deal professionally and collaboratively with across all levels of the organization and geographies.
- Experience delivering content through a variety of methods including onscreen text, context-sensitive help, and technical guides
- Formal design education (working on a degree or certificate in User Experience, Human Factors, graphic design, industrial design, architecture, or related field)
- Open source community involvement
Rocket Software Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Rocket Software Inc. is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Rocket is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please call: 781-577-4321 or send an email to email@example.com. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.