"Rise and Walk" Walking Initiative Research Coordinator
Goal: Develop “Rise and Walk” walking groups throughout Addison County.
Our local Addison County RiseVT Program has 3 broad goals: 1. To increase physical activity, especially walking 2. Increase access and education around nutritious foods 3. Foster a sense of neighborliness among residents, decreasing isolation
As part of our quest to increase physical activity, especially, walking, among residents, we introduce “Rise and Walk”.
Tasks and responsibilities:
Research Walkable Communities in Addison County
23 Addison County Communities:
- Research and develop .5 and 1.0 mile and 2.0 mile walking routes
- Produce Rise and Walk Map for each community
- Safety of walking routes
- Feasibility of walking within the community, with or without added safety measures
- Difficulty of route
- Readiness of communities to host walking initiatives
Student may work in conjunction with the Addison County Regional Planning Commission to research individual Town Plans, and with the Middlebury Recreation Department
Other General Research:
- Components of successful community walking groups
- Safety and liability concerns and procedures
Development of Active “Rise and Walk” Walking Groups within Addison County
- Meet with Town Clerk and other Town officials to enlist collaboration on Walking project, RiseVT Walking groups, walking events
- Choose 1- 3 communities most ready for a regular walking program
- Delineate town demographics in order to determine types of walking groups/routes, Older Adult walks, Stroller groups
- Organize communications through social media and local resources to promote walking group
- Produce “Rise and Walk” template in order to replicate walking groups in other communities
- Identify local champions willing to be hands-on in leading walking groups
- Set monthly schedule of local group walks, publicize using social media and other local options
- Schedule educational/informational talks prior to walks to increase participation
- Increase RiseVT and UVMHN PMC brand recognition, through cooperation and collaboration with local officials and other businesses, groups and entities
Intern must have access to reliable transportation. Hours are 30 per week. Start/end dates of internship are flexible.
Please note: If you are offered and accept this internship, please be aware that this program is supported by CCI, and therefore you will be required to complete funded internship paperwork.