Zoological Intern: Saltwater Team
Position: Zoological Intern: Saltwater Team
Reports To: Curator of Saltwater and Quarantine
The Zoological Saltwater Intern is responsible for observing and assisting the Saltwater team in the daily care of the saltwater species at the LLPA including sharks, rays, bony fishes, cephalopods, sea turtles and marine invertebrates. Daily responsibilities will include but are not limited to: observing and learning from the zoological staff, completing daily/weekly tasks, food preparation, cleaning husbandry areas and exhibits, performing water quality tests, and daily maintenance of the aquarium exhibits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist in maintaining the highest level of cleanliness and quality of all saltwater exhibits and back of house areas.
· Assist with daily husbandry of saltwater animals.
· Collection of weekly water samples and performing water quality tests.
· Assist in daily food preparation for saltwater animals.
· Assist in monitoring saltwater animals for overall health.
· Adhere to safety protocols.
· Complete all quizzes and evaluations to determine retention of information/knowledge from hands on experience and classroom lessons.
· Completion of all assigned projects prior to end of internship.
· Assist with providing enrichment to saltwater animals.
· Complete other duties as assigned.
· Must have completed a minimum of sophomore year at an accredited college or university.
· Working toward obtaining a degree in a related field (Fisheries Sciences, Marine Science, Biology, Zoology, etc).
· Must be able to follow basic instruction.
· Must demonstrate attention to detail.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· With training, have a basic knowledge and understanding of what is needed to become a member of an animal zoological team.
· With training, be able to identify most species at LLPA and become familiar with the biological systems of most species at LLPA.
Scope of position:
The Zoological Saltwater Intern must commit to 20 hours per week. The Saltwater Team works M-F from approximately 7AM-4PM. Interns can work half or full days any day of the week. The duration of the internship will be for a total of 10 weeks. This is an unpaid position.
Physical Demands of the Job:
· This opportunity requires long periods of standing, crouching, kneeling, lifting, and walking.
· Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
· Must be able to work on ladders and on elevated platforms.
· Must be able to work in wet, humid conditions, often on floors that are wet and sometimes slippery.
Special Working Conditions:
While this internship description attempts to describe the essential functions of the position, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. It does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this internship at any time.
It is the responsibility of the Volunteer Service Department to:
· Maintain records for all active interns.
· Issue each intern an identification badge and uniform shirt(s).
· Provide ongoing support and assistance with intern/staff relationships.
· Administer and provide information regarding opportunity and benefits available for active interns.
· Provide a written reference pertaining to the intern’s experience (hours contributed, length of commitment, job description) as requested.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Loveland Living Planet Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. LLPA does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected class under federal, state or local laws.