Research Assistant I * Division of Vascular and Endovascular / 40 Hours/ Day / BWH Dept. of Surgery
Working under the supervision of Division of Vascular and Endovascular Director and Principal Investigators, and following established policies and procedures; provides assistance on clinical research studies. May be responsible for the following activities: institutional review board applications and communications; recruiting and evaluating patients for studies; collecting and organizing patient data; scheduling patients for study visits; performing clinical tests such as phlebotomy, EKGs, etc.; occasional travel to meetings; maintaining and updating data generated by the study.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists Principal Investigator with patient recruitment and study sample collection according to study guidelines and protocols.
2. Initiates and maintains recruitment contact with study participates. Responsible for conducting telephone interviews or scheduling patient for screening and study visits. May be required to perform clinical tests such as phlebotomy, EKG, etc.
3. Interacts with patients/subjects with regard to study, including patient education, procedural instruction, follow-up. Serves as a liaison between patient and physicians, and as a resource for participants.
4. Responsible for collecting data and maintaining patient information database for study. Will be required to input data, do minimum analysis and run various reports. Maintains patient records as part of record keeping function.
5. Interacts, on behalf of PI, with other research staff/collaborating Departments to ensure that all administrative aspects of the study are in compliance with BWH and funding agency standards and regulations. May require occasional travel locally and nationally to meetings.
6. Leads (in partnership with PI) preparation of human subjects' protocols, proposal submissions, and continuing reviews and maintains organized records of updates and communications with IRB, study sponsors and collaborators.
7. Responsible for mailing various study information or packets to study participants.
8. Answers any phone calls and inquires regarding study protocol. Refers participants when appropriate to supervisor or clinical staff.
9. Monitors and sets up any needed equipment; Maintains inventory and orders supplies when necessary.
10. All other duties, as assigned.
BS, BA, BSN, or equivalent
Familiarity with basic patient care terms, processes preferred
Prior clinical research experience preferred but not required
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with the study participants
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of basic human anatomy and physiology
- Knowledge of computer software, databases, etc
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks
- Careful attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects rights and individual needs
- Ability to work independently, prioritizing work according to and within study protocols