Software Engineer I - Command & Control Entry Level (Kennedy Space Center)
Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
This position provides entry level software and hardware support to the Command & Control Systems (C&C) under the Test & Operations Support Contract (TOSC) at NASA Kennedy Space Center (KSC) Launch Control Center. The C&C organization is responsible for the design, development, sustaining, testing, and operations of the Control systems within the KSC Launch Control Center (LCC). Individuals will work in a dynamic team environment and will be responsible for software design, implementation, testing, user support, maintenance and operations of software systems in support of the KSC Launch Control Center (LCC). Typically the candidate will first tram on LCC/C&C system overview and C&C System Operations and become certified as a Master Console Operations (MCO) position responsible for the operations of the Launch Control Systems at KSC and remote sites. Upon completion of training, the employee will perform MCO functions for the Launch Control Systems and will be provided additional training in a specific C&C discipline supporting Ground Systems, Launch Systems, and/or Simulation and Modeling of ground and/or space crafts based on skills and career paths. The individual may subsequently serve a role in H/W engineering, System Administration, Software development, Software Testing, Systems Integration, Simulation, and/or System Support positions within the C&C organization.
Typical Tasks Include:
• Master Console Operations functions for Launch Control System (LCS) include Software installation, configuration control, system health monitoring, and troubleshooting.
• Documentation of work and communication to all levels of the Project.
• Provide Firing Room System Administration functions
• Support Launch Test Team operations and systems end users with system software and application problem analysis; provide technical work-around to issues and anomalies; supports the development organization with enhancements and fixes.
• Training and work assignments to prepare for software engineering, hardware engineering, software test, simulation, or system integration roles within the rest of the C&C organization
Employee may work evenings and weekend shifts supporting operations. Paid overtime may be required based on schedules. Travel to remote sites including but not limited to Huntsville Alabama, Littleton Colorado, and Houston Texas may be required based on work assignments and operational needs.
This is an entry-level position. Preferred position related experience 0-2 years with an Engineering degree from an accredited university.
The individual should possess strong initiative, teamwork, problem solving, and customer engagement skills. The job requires close communication and collaboration with the end user to other members of the team. To
be successful, the candidate shall have the ability to work towards deadlines and delivery quality products on their assignments.
Required skills include:
• The ability to interpret information and effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office products (MS Office Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Ability to work both independently and on teams.
Since this is an entry level position, additional skills in one or more of the following areas are highly desirable:
• Strong Java (non-web based) and C# development skills
• Python, Java, Perl and/or XML
• Experience with Linux scripting, C++ in Linux and AIX environments
• Ability to analyze information and problem solve
• Experience with Software Development Fundamentals and Software Development Processes
• Experience with network test equipment
• Experience installing and testing both fiber optic and copper media conversion equipment
• Experience with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all “drug free workplace” requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Jacobs is a drug-free workplace.
: United States-Florida-Kennedy Space Center