Summer Undergraduate Trainee
SUMMER 2020 UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth)
Innovation in Cancer Prevention Research
June 1 – August 7, 2020
$6,000 stipend for 10 weeks
Do you want to develop your outside-of-the-box thinking?
This program offers training in evidence-based tools for innovative thinking and placements with accomplished cancer researchers at the ■ McGovern Medical School (Houston) ■ School of Biomedical Information (Houston) ■ UT MD Anderson Cancer Center-UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (Houston) ■ School of Public Health (Houston, with regional campuses in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Brownsville, and El Paso).
The program’s unique focus is helping trainees learn to ask important research questions and apply cutting-edge methods to stimulate innovative thinking about their projects. Applications are now open!
Who is eligible to apply?
All undergraduate students in colleges and universities across the U.S. who are rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors (fall semester, 2020).
All academic majors are encouraged to apply!
What will you be doing?
Over the course of the 10-week program, summer trainees will:
· Work with UTHealth faculty mentors and their research teams to complete a research project in cancer prevention and incorporate tools for innovation,
· Take the Massive Open Online Course on innovative thinking http://go.uth.edu/edX by Roberta B. Ness, M.D., M.P.H., who literally wrote the book(s) on innovation,
· Do puzzles, problem solving, and exercises in the review sessions anchored by senior doctoral and postdoctoral fellows,
· Attend seminars led by faculty on ongoing cancer research,
· Perfect skills in scientific presentations, and
· Present research project posters and elevator speeches.
Applications and supplemental materials (unofficial transcripts, resume, and one letter of recommendation) must be uploaded in the application system by 11:59 PM (CST) on January 20, 2020.
Semi-finalists will be notified in early February 2020.
Trainee interviews for final selection will be conducted by early March 2020.