Giant Ocean Tank Dive Intern (Fall 2020)
Giant Ocean Tank Internship
Apply now for: Fall 2020
12-16 Weeks. At least Two Full Days Per Week (8:00 am-5:00 pm)
The four-story Giant Ocean Tank features a brand new coral reef, an underwater communications system, large windows and hundreds of Caribbean reef animals, including sea turtles, stingrays, eels and fish.The intern will provide support to the Giant Ocean Tank Dive Staff and Senior Dive Volunteers in the care and maintenance of the Aquarium's 200,000 gallon, Caribbean reef exhibit.
- Diving in the G.O.T. for cleaning and underwater feedings
- Daily food preparation
- Life support maintenance
- Cleaning of all support areas
- G.O.T. surface feedings (barracudas, sea turtles, needlefish, porcupine fish, etc.), assistance in medical and animal acclimation procedures
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- All perspective dive interns must have logged a minimum of fifteen open water dives, at least five of which must have taken place in the previous twelve month period
- These dives are in addition to certification checkout dives
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue, and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
Special Requirements: You must be available at least 3 days per week for a period of at least 12 weeks.