Intern, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (SUMMER 2020)
TITLE: Intern, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support
DEPARTMENT: Technical Unit
LOCATION: Stamford, Connecticut
REPORTS TO: MHPSS Technical Advisor
ASSIGNMENT TYPE: Summer Internship Program, 2020
Monday through Thursday, 9 am – 5 pm from
May 26, 2020 through August 6, 2020
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
DEPARTMENT AND POSITION SUMMARY:
The Technical Unit serves as the organizational hub for quality assurance as well as health program and technical implementation expertise across the organization, primarily within the Programs Department. Working within and across Americares Global Programs department, this unit provides technical guidance on quality assurance, monitoring & evaluation (M&E), program design and development, project performance management, and capacity building consultation to Americares programmatic initiatives (both domestic and international) on a spectrum of focus areas: mental health and psychosocial support, chronic diseases (DM and hypertension), maternal and child health, infectious disease, emergency response, preparedness and risk reduction, and health systems strengthening.
The Technical Unit is comprised of four teams: Grants and Business Development, Monitoring and Evaluation, the Medical Unit and the Technical Advisors.
The Intern will support the Technical Unit’s diverse work in the areas of mental health and psychosocial support. This will include researching best practices, new resources and innovations in MHPSS and emergency response, clinical services, and community health, and supporting project(s) focused on improving MHPSS access, quality, and impact. The intern will also assist the MHPSS Technical Advisor with day to day administrative duties such as presentations, managing research and documents, and collaborating with global programs teams on existing projects and practices. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in learning what it takes to successfully and effectively implement global health programs while promoting quality assurance and improving operational efficiencies in a non-profit organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Desk research, analysis, and communication of results on evidence-based, best, and promising practices in MHPSS across emergency programs, clinical services, and community health.
- Scan, track, summarize, and synthesize MHPSS innovations and trends to support technical and thought leadership initiatives
- Support efforts to evaluate and update guidance for the InterAgency Standing Committee MHPSS Reference Group
- Support inter-agency and cross-team MHPSS communication and collaboration efforts, including MHPSS work on the InterAction Protection Working Group and the Americares Global Mental Health Community of Practice.
Long Term Projects:
- Lead efforts to continually update mapping of MHPSS actors, MHPSS communication platforms and coordination groups, and MHPSS policy initiatives
- Collaborate with Project Administration team on Knowledge Management efforts to enable agile organizational learning in MHPSS
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERSONAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Foster Americares values of responsiveness, results orientation, collaboration, efficiency and integrity.
- Passion for our mission and the desire to work within the global health/emergency response sector;
- Passion for big picture impact
- Attention to detail
- Current undergraduate student
- Available for the full dates of internship (5/26/2020 – 8/6/2020)
- A complete resume and cover letter; applications without a cover letter will not be considered
- Must apply on Americares website
- Strong interest in mental health, behavioral health, psychosocial support
- Previous experience in mental health, behavioral health, psychosocial support projects or programs
****Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.****