Internship – Nuclear Support Systems
Position and Grade: Internship – Nuclear Support Systems
Organizational Unit: Division of Energy Planning and Nuclear Information and Knowledge Department of Nuclear Energy Duty Station: Vienna, Austria
Start/Duration of Appointment: June/July 2020, 1 year
In addition to the IAEA's general internship program, IAEA Programs sponsors several internships each year in non-Safeguards departments of the IAEA. These internships are one year in length and eligibility is limited to US citizens. Benefits of these internships include:
- Round trip airfare to Vienna or the relevant duty station (for non-local recruits)
- One-time allowance
- Monthly stipend to cover basic subsistence costs
- Cost-free medical insurance (if needed)
The main purpose of the internship is to support the Nuclear Support Systems Group (NSSG), led by the Nuclear Energy Nuclear Support Systems Coordinator, in the development of web-based computer applications, assist with user interface design, database development and administration, prepare documentation related to software projects and application portfolio management, and perform testing as required.
Tasks / Key Results Expected
• Work with SharePoint developers to develop additional features for the Nuclear Energy Portal and CONNECT SharePoint sites. • Work with .NET application developers to create/refurbish and deploy web-based software applications to support NE data products and websites. • Assist in the design of new user interfaces and graphic elements to support the refurbishment of existing NE applications. • Prepare system documentation including standard operating procedures, software description documents, test reports, configuration logs and user manuals. • Perform testing of the software applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Software Development.
• Web and User Interface Design.
• Database Design and Development.
• Data Analysis.
• Computer Infrastructure Administration.
• Software Testing
Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in a field of Science or Engineering, Management or Computer Sciences.
• Experience in drafting system documentation, such as standard operating procedures, software description documents, test reports, configuration logs and user manuals is a strong asset.
• Proficiency in standard desktop software including Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Candidates must be a minimum of 20 years of age and have completed at least three years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a first degree.
• Candidates may apply up to one year after the completion of a bachelor's, master's or doctorate degree.
• Candidates must not have previously participated in the IAEA's internship programme.
• Excellent written and spoken English essential; fluency in any other IAEA official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian) an asset.
• Candidates must attach two signed letters of recommendation to their application