Research Assistant I / 40 Hours / Days / BWH Newborn Medicine
Working independently, under the general supervision of Principal Investigator(s), provides support to clinical research studies. The position may include being responsible for the following activities: making independent judgment of suitability of potential research participants, developing and implementing patient recruitment strategies, recommending changes to protocols, and undertaking data collection and analysis.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the implementation, both internally and externally, of sponsored clinical research studies.
- Working in concert with Principal Investigator(s) and/or Research Manager, develops and implements patient recruitment strategies.
- Recruits and evaluates potential study patients, per protocol instruction.
- Maintains contact with study participants and coordinates study visits to obtain magnetic resonance imaging data and other evaluations and procedures, such as fetal echos.
- Obtain samples from processing lab/pathology.
- Maintain freezer/sample organization and logging.
- Answers phone calls and inquiries regarding study protocol. Refers participants when appropriate to supervisor or clinical staff.
- Develops, organizes, and/or maintains detailed clinical and research databases. May use programs, such as excel and REDCap. Responsible for data validation and quality control.
- Responsible for collecting data and maintaining patient information database for study. May be required to input data, conduct basic data analysis and run various reports. Maintains patients’ records as part of record keeping function.
- In conjunction with Research Manager/PIs, develops and implements new research protocols including design, data collection systems and institutional review board approval.
- Recommends changes to research protocols and manages modifications to institutional review board protocols.
- Performs literature searches, as appropriate.
- Performs basic laboratory testing on human blood and samples (after training).
- Assists PIs with preparation for presentation and written published articles.
- Orders lab supplies and equipment as necessary.
- Assists PIs with administrative tasks including scheduling, meeting coordination, preparation of meeting materials, etc.
- Maintains collaborative, team relationships with peers and colleagues. Attends meetings as required.
- All other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS