Urban Forestry Intern
The Urban Forestry Intern will work with and assist the Forestry Division in fieldwork, research and computerized data collection and recording as well as work with in-house forestry crews. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate and inspect quality of work with contractors.
- Maintain city bare-root tree nursery, checking irrigation, hand watering and weeding.
- Perform outreach work, including educating residents on the benefits of the urban canopy and tree adoption.
- Work with other tree interns by watering trees and updating tree inventory.
- Work with the Forestry Supervisor, Assistant City Arborist, City Arborist, and Superintendent of Forestry on related tasks and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Undergraduate coursework in urban forestry, horticulture, environmental science, or related fields. Experience in working with Microsoft Office programs such as Access, Excel and Word. High motivation. Ability to work individually as well as in a team. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to perform assigned tasks with minimum supervision. Driver's License preferable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Moderate physical activity including bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Professional office environment, Fluorescent lighting, air conditioning and carpeted floors. Outside work, in all weather conditions in close proximity to traffic and construction noise.
RATE: $ 20.00 per hour
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week hours; temporary position starting approximately April through August 2020
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 04/06/20, Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.