Winter Term 2021 SBEC Climate Action Intern
The South Burlington Energy Committee (SBEC), a volunteer group that reports to the City Council, is assisting the City to develop the promised Climate Action Plan to achieve local CO2 emissions reductions in line with the Paris Climate goals and supporting the City’s long term commitment to address the climate crisis.
The SBEC seeks intern support to build the foundation of information that South Burlington requires to define specific goals and to evaluate the progress and effectiveness of the actions the city is undertaking to address the climate goals.
Members of the SBEC will supervise the intern carrying out this project. The SBEC will assist the intern with locating and obtaining data sources and provide suggestions for developing estimates where direct energy use data is not available. The intern will need to communicate and collaborate with many people outside the SBEC to find relevant data, including but not limited to: city staff, school staff, utility representatives from Vermont Gas, Green Mountain Power, and Efficiency Vermont, fuel dealers, staff from the CCRPC (Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission), state employees, people from state and national organizations that specialize in emissions inventories, members of other energy committees, and university researchers.
The SBEC anticipates the work to be comprised of:
● 5-10 hours engaged with SBEC members for kick-off and ongoing guidance
● 5-10 hours of literature and community review on GHG tracking
● 20-40 hours of research into available data sources
● 10-25 hours pulling data into a simple database, then analysis/visualizations/report for GHG reductions progress to-date and estimates of what is required to meet goals
● 5 hours documentation of data sources, conversion factors, etc.
● 0-10 hours developing and documenting ideas for improved data collection techniques and potentially automation
In addition to applying on Handshake, please send your cover letter and resume to MJ Reale, email@example.com.
Please visit go/WTinternships for information on receiving credit (if desired) for Winter Term internships.