Animal Care Intern
• Responsible for assisting the Animal Care Team by completing tasks, covering educational talks and helping with orphan care. This position is designed for the college student interested in working with wildlife, or for entry-level animal care professionals looking to gain more experience.
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
• Works days and hours assigned by Animal Curator; a full 40-hour week. The intern position is for a duration of 12 weeks; 480 working hours.
• Assist keepers with husbandry tasks (diet prep, cleaning, feeding, watering)
• Helps cover daily programs and tours with the Education team; following program outlines and delivering meaningful presentations to connect with guests.
• Covers WOW tours if assistance is needed from the Education Department
• Acts as liaison with the public by courteously answering questions and enforcing feeding rules for the animals.
• Carries out the responsibilities of the position in a professional and appropriate manner
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to work in a team environment to help achieve AWCC’s goals and objectives.
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
• Must possess a positive and respectful attitude.
• Excellent customer services skills.
• Exceptional work ethic, attention to detail and time management skills.
• Abilities to lift 80#, bend, reach, stand, crawl, and work in a drastically changing weather environment
• Ability to compromise, listen, learn, understand, and follow instructions/directions.
• Ability to work directly with the public, providing information and assistance as needed.
• Employee housing is available onsite. Each room offers a single bed, linens and towels. There are 2 shared bathrooms. A total of up to 5 employees may be living in the house at one time,
there is a kitchen with kitchenware/utensils and a living room complete with lounge and TV/DVD capabilities. There is also Wi-Fi for the bunkhouse.
• Rent for housing is $325/month
• With valid license/driving record; employees have access to AWCC vehicles for grocery trips
• Portage, AK is located 45 miles south of Anchorage; 10 miles south of the local ski-town known as Girdwood. There are beautiful scenic mountains surrounding the AWCC, as well as the ocean, rivers and glaciers.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma • College coursework in related field: Biology, Wildlife/Zoological Sciences
• A positive attitude and strong work ethic.
To apply please email a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references with phone and email contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is February 1st. Any further questions regarding the position please email or call Bison Hall at (907) 783-0058 and ask to speak with Sarah Howard.